#4-LSU-Probably the second best team we play all year, but they're number 4 for a couple of reasons. They're not in the East. Its just hard to hate a team you don't see every year, and I love to hate teams. I may be underestimating their desire for vengence, but with the slate LSU has this year and the many losses they had last year, I don't think we are anything special on their radar. I think they are the best team in the West, but their lack of consistency and tough schedule will give them problems winning the west. Its always fun when the LSU fans come to town with their unique brand of fan. If we can survive this mid-point test at home, big things may be in our future.
#3-South Carolina- Off-the wall pick here for a #3 game here, but hear me out. First of all, its a night game. Secondly, its our opening SEC game. Finally, I think this is going to be our closest thing to a statement game all year. Although we'll have already taken on Oklahoma State, that is our first game of the season and everyone is going to be watching to see what we really are made of. The opening game of the year is not enough to get a good feel what this team is all about. If we beat Ok State and then come out "guns-blazing" against USC and absolutely drop the hammer, I will feel much better about the season ahead. Plus, I think this is the year we finally get sick of South Carolina playing us tight and we try to demolish them this year under the lights. Sure they won't be very good, but it doesn't mean this game won't be fun and a possible indicator of the team we have for 2009. Oh yeah, its Spurrier.
#2-Okie State- I've already been told by Oklahoma people that "no-one uses Okie-state" to refer to Oklahoma State. I'm now going to use it. Plus, I'm glad to know I've found a possible chink in the armor of cowboy fans which will come in very handy when the smack-talk starts to fly in Stillwater. Part of the excitement for this game is due to the quality of opponent. Okie State will be ranked in the top 10 to start the season. They score points and have some studs at the skill positions. That does kind of sound like UGA of '08 which we all know didn't turn out so well. Couple our opponent's talent with a road trip to a college town, and we've got an A+ game on-hand. Not to mention I have a great feeling about going on the road behind our 30-6 recond this decade.
#1-Florida- No brainer here for me. Sure they're billed as one of the best teams in the history of the universe with the second coming of Christ as their fearless (but not tearless) leader at the helm. But how sweet would a win in Jacksonville be this year? If the beginning of the season goes well, this will be a match-up between two very highly ranked teams. And there is just something about this Florida team that I have a funny feeling about. First of all, no one in college football wins 3 national championships in 4 years. Just doesn't happen. Secondly, they returned 2 deep everywhere on defense. That also, never happens. I have to wonder that if they all are really that good, then why did no one go to the NFL? There has got to be something to this. Reminds me of an Ohio State team who returned nearly everyone from its defense a few years ago. Remember that team? ya, I don't really remember them either.
Best part about this game though, I will have a great time regardless of the result.
Love/Hate relationship, but mostly Hate
No comments:
Post a Comment